People can rebuild their strength in short-term rehab (short for rehabilitation) programs after surgery, illness or accident.
Short-term rehabilitation centers are places where people receive physical, occupational, and/or speech therapy until they are ready to return home. Perhaps you know someone who has gone to rehabilitation for a short time. Maybe you even have personal experience with it.
Patients might need rehabilitation after an unexpected medical event or accident, making the situation even more challenging. In response to your doctor’s recommendation, the hospital discharge planner often provides you with a list of rehabilitation centers in your area and asks you which one you prefer. Among these options, you may see a senior living community. Now what?
The process of choosing where to stay after surgery can be confusing. So here are 10 questions to ask when choosing a short-term rehabilitation facility for your loved one after surgery, with a focus on senior living communities like The Terraces at Bonita Springs.
Questions To Ask When Choosing a Short-Term Rehabilitation Option
- Would you be able to accept a new patient at this time?
- How can I ensure my insurance is accepted here, and what steps should I take in advance?
- Is there a particular area of expertise among the staff?
- How much therapy do patients receive?
- What is the staff-to-patient ratio?
- Which treatments will be administered during my recovery?
- What is the process for transition from hospital to rehab?
- What items should be brought? What is provided on site?
- How are regular care planning meetings scheduled, and are family members invited to participate in person or via a video conference?
- What is the process for transitioning from rehab to home, and are there any intermediate living arrangements available at the community?
If you have questions before arriving at any center, the team will be happy to answer them as best they can. If you’re wondering if pets are permitted to visit, if overnight guests are allowed, or what hours the dining room is open, get answers to those questions. The more information you have, the better.
Most importantly, pay attention to how you feel about each location. Did you receive a warm welcome? Was the staff smiling in the halls? Is everyone happy? Were your questions answered candidly? Are all areas clean and odor-free?
It’s critical to verify where friends and family can send mail and how to contact patients when choosing a senior living community. The social worker and billing department should also be included on the list of emergency contact information, including their names and contact information.
Short-Term Rehabilitation at The Terraces at Bonita Springs
The Terraces at Bonita Springs is a one-of-a-kind Life Plan Community near South Florida’s Gulf Coast. We offer short- and long-term rehabilitation, independent living, assisted living, memory support and five-star rated skilled nursing. And if health needs change, our all-in-one campus means you can seamlessly move into higher levels of care without leaving home.
Contact us today to learn more about how our short-term rehabilitation is perfect for your next recovery stay.